Who is it for?
Suitable for staff who come in contact with people who experience sensory impairment.
Course content overview
This one day interactive course aims to raise awareness of sensory impairment in relation to visual, hearing and dual sensory loss. It will provide participants with an understanding and appreciation of everyday challenges encountered by sensory impaired people and how small changes in practice can make a positive difference to the inclusion of people with sensory impairments.
By the end of this course participants will have :-
- An awareness of the key concepts of ‘disability’
- An improved knowledge and understanding to influence their work practices positively when dealing with and supporting people with visual, hearing or dual sensory loss.
- An awareness of basis principles of good communication practice with sensory impaired people.
- Learned basic sighted guide techniques to allow them to effectively and safely guide a visually impaired person with confidence.
- An awareness and understanding of the day to day challenges experienced by people with a sensory impairment.
- An awareness of sources of support and referral pathways across North Lanarkshire
What you need to do before attending?
How long does this course last?
Who will provide this training?
Learning and Organisational Development Team