Purpose of the programme
This programme will help existing managers to develop their leadership skills. It also provides a stepping stone to further personal and career development.
What’s involved in the programme?
The programme begins with an induction and is then split into six main modules. The duration is 12 days over a 6-month period and includes a mixture of:
- development days (tutor led)
- written work
- group work
- reflective practice
Module 1 – Leadership & Management
- Leadership and management theories and their application to the workplace
- Leadership skills, knowledge and behaviours
- Transformational leadership
- Situational leadership
- Authentic leadership
- The impact of organisational factors on leadership
- Creating and presenting a leadership vision
Module 2 – Effective Decisions & Influence
- Evaluating data sources
- Decision making models
- The impact of organisational values on decision making
- Communicating decisions
- Stakeholder engagement
- Networking, power and negotiation
Module 3 – Change Management
- Factors that drive change
- Managing risks and overcoming barriers to change
- Change management models
- Influencing, supporting and embedding change
Module 4 – Project Management
- Preparing a business case
- Project scope, objectives and stakeholders
- Project management models
- Identifying and controlling risks and issues
- Monitoring progress through to completion
Module 5 – Teams & Communication
- Models for leading teams and their application in the workplace
- Understanding motivation
- Managing multiple and remote teams
- Managing team leaders and managers
- Difficult conversations
- Identifying talent
- Developing your team
Module 6 – Developing as a Leader
- Action learning sets for ongoing peer support
- Reflective practice
- Personal development planning
Will I achieve a qualification?
This course offers the opportunity to work towards one of the following qualifications:
- SVQ Level 3 in Management (SCQF Level 7)
- CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management & Leadership (SCQF Level 8)
- SVQ Level 4 in Management (SCQF Level 9)
The expected duration of the qualification is 6 months for the CMI Certificate and 12 months for the SVQ options. The cost of the qualification will be charged to your department and a budget code will need to be supplied. The contribution required from your department will be between £250 and £750, depending on your choice of qualification.
When is the programme running?
The dates for the next cohort are:
Thursday 12th & Friday 13th September
Thursday 10th & Friday 11th October (these dates were cancelled)
Thursday 21st & Friday 22nd November
Thursday 23rd & Friday 24th January
Thursday 20th & Friday 21st February
Thursday 19th & Friday 20th March
Thursday 23rd & Friday 24th April
Please note – course participants are expected to attend all dates. There is no date scheduled for December.
The sessions will run 9.30am – 4.15pm at the Civic Centre, Motherwell.
How do I request a place?
You can request a place on this course using mySelf. Click on Career & Development then Search Courses to browse for Influential Leaders.
For more information on this programme, please contact TOD@northlan.gov.uk